SEO audits are a crucial part of a website regarding digital marketing. A detailed analysis of a site’s on-page and off-page activities, issues with the site architecture, backlinks, participation in social media, keyword density, and duplicate content are used to gauge its performance.
An SEO audit is the name for this analysis. Simply defined, an SEO audit is essential for identifying the advantages, disadvantages, and potential for the long-term success of your website.
Types of SEO audits
- SEO technical audit: With the help of this technical SEO audit, you may figure out what technical problems exist on your website that are preventing search engines from indexing your pages or understanding the content. The technical issues are listed in the SEO technical audit report and their remedies, allowing you to work on a solution immediately.
- SEO link and content audit: Your website’s links and content need to be examined to ensure your search ranking is not negatively damaged. While SEO content audit examines the current status of your website’s content and evaluates the appropriateness of your website copy, link auditing finds issues with your website’s inbound links, weak links, or broken links.
- Competitive website audit: Using this tool, you can examine in-depth the SEO strategies used by your top competitors and compare your SEO efforts to theirs. With this strategy, you can determine what will be most effective for your market group and implement successful marketing tactics to expand your business.
- Local SEO audit: A local SEO audit will cover a number of the crucial elements of local optimization, including local listings, citations, on-site & off-site local activity, local search rankings, and reviews. For you to resolve the issues and improve your local ranking, a local SEO audit produces a report highlighting concerns with these essential areas.
Benefits of regularly performing an SEO audit
Find SEO weaknesses
You can check several items to verify if they are correctly optimized (particularly the on-page elements). For example, if you know that the recommended length for meta descriptions is between 150 and 169 characters, you will realize that yours needs to be changed.
However, SEO has evolved into something far more difficult since the days of strategically adding keywords to your websites. When deciding how well your site performs, Google considers several elements, including technical performance and content quality.
It’s important to remember that Google updates its algorithms constantly. The best candidates to become familiar with and adjust to these changes are specialists with a strong industry foundation and developing SEO auditing programs.
Improve site performance
Google aspires to offer its audience fantastic browsing experiences on all devices.
That requires supplying reliable sources with pertinent, high-quality content. However, more is needed to include the necessary information on your website. You must also convince Google that your website is safe and easy for desktop and mobile users.
Customers want to avoid visiting a website only to find that it loads slowly, that the content needs to be more accurate, or that there are broken links because this will likely result in a high bounce rate.
An SEO audit will highlight any issues affecting your user experience ratings. These might be connected to your website’s responsive design, page load time, broken links, etc.
You must evaluate the effectiveness of the work done on your website, regardless of whether you’re a client employing an SEO service or a consultant/in-house marketer handling your SEO. An initial SEO study will set the foundation for measuring all KPIs and results. It will be challenging to assess how your site has altered in the future if you are unaware of the state of things now.
Track the progress of keyword rank
One of the best ways to assess your site’s performance is to keep an eye on the ebb and flow of your keywords. As you optimize your website, your keyword density should increase. Negative ones may indicate significant issues or even consequences like positive motions.
Using an auditing tool like WooRank, which records keyword movement, you can quickly assess how well keywords have performed over time and whether your site is trending up or down.
An SEO audit is likely to reveal several future growth avenues. While it may be tempting to put all these suggestions into action at once, it’s crucial to break each task down into smaller initiatives and order them accordingly.
Tasks that impact usabilities, including implementing structured data markup, favicons, and bespoke 404 pages, will unquestionably improve the user experience. But I advise focusing on technical SEO issues obstructing your websites, such as crawling and indexing troubles. A web crawl can find any faults in this area. If your technical SEO needs to be improved, you can find that future adjustments impact performance less.
Assess the competition
A few of the websites that can be audited include those you control. You could examine your competitors’ websites to discover their benefits and drawbacks. The following facts about your rivals are essential to know:
- If your competitors rank highly and have a high domain and page authority level, the keywords they use could be more worthwhile. Instead, focus on keywords that they need to be using.
- Backlinks: Pay close attention to who connects to them by looking at their backlinks. See if you can find a backlink from these websites or, even better, completely replace your competitor’s link with one to your website by targeting these websites.
- Strategy: By looking at your competitors’ websites, you can get a good idea of their approach. If they have unique content producing backlinks and being shared, a similar content strategy may be helpful for your site. Similarly, if they succeed in boosting interaction across social media platforms, you should further investigate and study their social media approach.
Improve your site’s structure (links)
A website’s design goes beyond having pages that load quickly and a straightforward navigation bar. When Google browses around your website and decides whether to rank you at the top of the search results, it searches for internal links between the various pieces of content that demonstrate your expertise and authority.
You will need to reexamine how the various pages on your site are connected and consider things like external links to reputable websites as part of an SEO audit. If your company specialized in email marketing, for example, you could find it helpful to segment your blog into sections for:
- Email advertising advice
- Guides for email marketing software
- Subjects for creating leads pages
Finding any problems or weak places on your website is easier with an SEO audit. The findings will be thoroughly investigated to see what may be improved to increase the functionality of your site.
Due to its many benefits, including constant monitoring, the capacity to react to unforeseen decreases in traffic, and knowledge of your competitors’ techniques, an SEO audit is essential and shouldn’t be understated.
I've worked for WooRank, SEOptimer, and working on a cool SEO audit tool called SiteGuru.co. Now I have build Linkilo and SEO RANK SERP WordPress theme. I've been in the SEO industry for more than 5 years, learning from the ground up. I've worked on many startups, but also have my own affiliate sites.