- Execution Time: about 5 minutes
- Goal: To set up your website Sitemap and add it to Google Search Console.
- Ideal Outcome: Sitemap created and fetched by Google Search Console.
- Prerequisites: You need to have Google Search Console enabled for your website. You need to have Rank Math SEO Plugin installed on your WordPress site.
- Why this is important: Having a sitemap added to Google Search Console helps search engine crawlers to find more easily the content you want them to index, and to understand better how important each page of your website is.
- Where this is done: In your WordPress Admin Panel and Google Search Console tool.
- When this is done: After enabling Google Search Console for your website, ideally your sitemap should be automatically updated by your SEO Plugin so you no longer have to worry about it.
- Who does this: Owner of the website or the person in charge of analytics.
Let’s get started, in 5-min your website maze will no longer have secrets for search engine crawlers.
Checking your sitemap using Rank Math SEO Plugin
- “Log In” to your WordPress Admin Panel.
- Choose “Rank Math” on the left side menu.
- Then choose “Dashhboard”.
- Make sure that “Sitemap” feature is enabled (if it’s not, turn it on).
- Go to “Sitemap Settings” and make sure you can see the URL of your sitemap:
- Click on the URL to see all the sitemap that was created by Rank Math:
Adding a sitemap to Google Search Console
- Go to “yourdomainname.com/sitemap_index.xml.
- Copy part of a web address after “yourdomainname.com/”. This is your sitemap URL.
- Go to “search.google.com/search-console”.
- Click on “Start now”.
- Sign in with the Google Account you used to enable GSC for your website.
- In the Google Search Console tool click on “Sitemaps”.
- Paste your sitemap URL.
- Then click on “SUBMIT”.
- Wait a moment for the process to finish.
- Now you should be able to see a confirmation message. Click on “GOT IT”.
- In most cases, after submitting a sitemap you will see Status: “Couldn’t fetch”.
- You just need to refresh the page. Simply press “F5” on your keyboard.
This is it. You successfully created a sitemap and you added it to Google Search Console, making it easier for Google crawler to monitor the changes on your website.
I've worked for WooRank, SEOptimer, and working on a cool SEO audit tool called SiteGuru.co. Now I have build Linkilo and SEO RANK SERP WordPress theme. I've been in the SEO industry for more than 5 years, learning from the ground up. I've worked on many startups, but also have my own affiliate sites.
TRY OUR FULLY SEO-OPTIMIZED WORDPRESS THEME FOR AFFILIATE MARKETERS!
No need to hire SEO experts anymore to fix your site technical SEO issuesIMPROVE YOUR SITES RANKING TODAY